Pages

Thursday, March 12, 2020

DFI Day 2. The Bullet Train.


Phew! 😅 Another day packed with information. I feel like my brain is constantly scrambling to catch up. This is a humbling experience and one that makes me reflect on my expectations for my own learners. How often to I really stop to allow students time to use the new information and get their head around new concepts before I am racing off onto the next thing. The DFI so far can be likened to the bullet trains in Japan, running at speeds of up to 320km per hour and I feel a little like I have been hit by one.



We started the day off with google hangouts. This was pretty much right out of my comfort zone. I can see how these are great for remote meetings and, especially in the face of the coronavirus situation, remote teaching. For me, however, the tech issues were frustrating and put me off using it.

Slideshow with Lenva Shearing.
Lenva had some interesting things to say. This table showing the difference between the three stages helped to clarify the way you can 'turbocharge'. I will share this with our staff as I think it really shows the differences in digitising the curriculum and using digital tools to enhance learning.



Google keep.
Organising webpages-wonderful for me! Pre-DFI Haley was doing this:

(Having a google doc with links to all the articles that I found as teaching resources or to support what I am doing in class)

Now I have this!

A dashboard in google keep organised with labels.

And then I found out about Toby. Sigh. That digital bullet train just keeps on rushing by. Toby seems like it would be a better way to keep all of the articles together, especially as I can then share them with students all in one go.










2 comments:

  1. Kia ora Haley,
    Nice analogy with the bullet train. Can the analogy stretch to that you are on the train rather than being hit by one?
    I hope that as the dust settles you can pick up what works best for you. Won't be long before you are expertly sharing your learning with other teachers or students. Of course the rewindable nature of what is on your blog or class site certainly helps mitigate the speed of delivery.

    Ngā mihi,
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Haley,
    Hang on to the=at bullet train ticket - you'll be using it every week!
    Hangouts might be a bit frustrating for you at the moment but they could become very important to us in the close future with #remotelearning a possibility.
    It was great working with you in day #2.
    Mā te wā
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete